Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Introduction and Outlook

How it all began

Let's start with the beginning. I'm male. And I LOVE sewing. I don't know when it started, how it started, WHY it started... I think I just always liked the idea of making clothing myself, ever since I saw my mother doing it when I was a little boy.

I've been making costumes (for a wide variety of occasions, from costume balls to theatre productions) for more than ten years now. I wouldn't say I'm perfect though. My seams still aren's always straight, my technique often needs improvement and quite often I'm sewing something for a certain occasion and find myself with a 3/4 done costume on the night before the event, hurriedly finishing what I'm doing, making mistakes which I decide to correct later before I wear the costume again (and never getting round to doing that). I'll post a couple of my old costumes soon (if I ever get round to doing that).

For the longest time the one occasion on which I would go in costume was a large costume ball in my home town and since you can't wear the same outfit twice there, most of my costumes ended up being worn only once (which is quite sad, considering that I spent a lot of time making them).

Then I discovered LARPing and everything changed just a little bit.

Suddenly my costumes had to be more durable, washable, wearable for more than one occasion and (to satisfy my personal ambition) look as good as I could possibly make them.

My main character is a high-elven priest of light (whose sad story I will not go into here). So I started developping an idea of what he should look like and what his (an his people's) style is. I ended up with clothes that aren't really historical but have a renaissance-y feel to them (winged sleeves, drooping sleeves, long coats breeches, ...) and have some detailing (though that's something where I want to expand in the future).

So.. Why all of a sudden a blog? Because I felt like it. I guess that's the main resaon. And also because I hope that I'll get some input on how to improve my costumes, what details I could add (or maybe just the occasional "well done".

I hope you'll enjoy reading this, I certainly hope it will be worth your wile.

Some of my recent and future projects


What's coming up?

Right now I'm working on a winter coat for my elf. I just bought rather nice, very light blue cotton velvet for that. Also I'm making a coat for a friend, I guess the best description of the colour is plum. I also want to add another pair of breeches for my elf and a friend asked me if I could make her a steampunk skirt. I also bought some black fabric with dark blue stripes that should be made into a ca. 1630 outfit for a ball in Febuary (which I'm basing on a ca 1770 desingn (re-enacters please don't kill me) and am already worried about finishing the embroidery on that one), and fabric in teal with black stripes and chiffon in white with black stripes that both want to (eventually) become voctorian/steampunk dresses. Also I recently inventoried my fabrics and found out that I own some 150 metres of fabric in all varieties which all need to be put to some use (there's almost everything from dark blue cotton velvet to white synthetic chiffon and some very interesting (and incredibly expensive) fabrics thrown in which I'll probably have to feature here at some point since I have no idea what to do with them).

Well, that's about it for now. I'll add some pictures soon (I promise) and then I'll start documenting my past and present projects.

1 comment: