Friday, November 22, 2013

Elf Winter Coat, part 2

Well I cut out the sleeves (no true news there) and designed and cut out the hanging sleeves. But somehow I wasn't alltogether hapy with them. I almost cut them out again to make them bigger but then I decided to pin them in place and see what they look like first.. (smart, eh?)

And now that I've seen at least one of them in place (albeit without it's light-blue lining and without the bias tape that'll go around it) I think they're big enough (and look rather pretty).



The bias tape has been added round the edges (and looks quite nice too) and I've decided how to make the closures (I'll make them in two layers instead of just sewing the bias tape onto them).

I also found this wonderful tutorial on how to make hand-sewn button holes (it's in German, but easily undersandable with all the pictures and the only one I found that really makes nice eyelets). I've never done that before (and am somewhat dreading it) bit I have the feeling that it has to be done on this coat (and I'm not alltogether sure, that my sewing machine will be happy sewing buttonholes through about 5 layers of cloth).

Also, just now my sister came along and gave me a wonderful idea for the embroidery on the back. I've been thinking aboutr very stylised wings but somehow I really couldn't find anything that fitted (Google, you've failed me!). Simple, line drawings of stylised celtic knot wings.. apparently I'm the first one to want something like that.

So I sat down and made this design, but somehow I didn't thing it was very "wingy":




My sister said it was the wrong way round (so I stood it on the head). Then, looking at me slightly strangely, she took a pair of scissors, cut it up and pasted the two halves together thusly:


Et voila! Not only does that look a lot more like wings than my previous design, it also solves my problems of what to do with the sides of the coat as I can now extend the bottom of the design to continue onto the side panels.


Tonight I'll have a sewing free evening (I'm performing in a concert and will be drinking lots of wine afterwards), but this weekend I'm meeting with some friends to finish stuff we want to wear/use/carry-around-nonsensically next weekend and I'm hoping to get a lot done there.

No comments:

Post a Comment