Thursday, November 21, 2013

Elf Winter Coat

It's often terribly cold out there when you're hunting the undead, being pursued by orcs or simply had one too many to drink and happened to shave off a dwarf's beard (it was an accident, really) and now have to hide in the snow. So, for this winter's LARP-season I decided that my high elf needs a warming coat. Consequently I bought two different fabrics (and enough for about three coats).

Te one is cotton velvet in a very light bluish-green colour (which, however I try , always turns out whiteish in pictures because it's just so light), the other sky blue wool. Since the first time I'll wear one of the coats is in two weeks time (insert freaking out noises here) and I'm hoping that it won't be too cold then (hahaha) I've decided to start with the velvet one.

The two fabrics

Basically what I started with was this pattern (because I already had it). It's basically a straightforward, flared coat with a stand-up collar. But I had already decided that I wanted a rather large hood so I knew I'd have to change the pattern  quite a bit, and stumbled over this wonderful coat from which I decided to take the double-breasted idea (because then it's easier to add my already existing immense-hood pattern) and then, to give the whole thing a touch of my high-elf's style, ca. 1600's hanging sleeves.


To make the double breasted look I simply added to the front pieces of my pattern. I admit I wasn't completely sure that would work, but it did. perfectly.

I cut the entire thing on sunday, sewed together the body and hood of the coat (both the velvet and the cotton lining) and now I'm sewing bias tape around the entire thing (which is slightly annoying since I've had to remove half of it once already because I only happened to be sewing the front half on...). I'm still thinking about how to embroider the coat. I want to add something on the back between the shoulders and maybe around the edges and on the hood.

Well anyway. This is what the coat looks like at the moment.

The coat as it stands. Binding pinned on, no sleeves yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment